Anyone else find this a bit slow and non intutive?

Just as a UX designer - I think drag and drop applies to the whole UI of a software or website compared to I have to click everything to link everything.
Add actions and code/data to things.

It took me 30 mins to what should have taken like 5 in Adalo or something to make a simple button and connect it to Ginger alert. That’s finding a tutorial on how events work and working out how to connect a youtube link, just positioning a button in the middle of the phone screen.

2 Likes

Hey I just got access today and looking forward to diving into this soon.

Adalo is currently top of my stack.

How do you compare draftbit to adalo?

Personally I like the custom code and the code export — seems like there’s more flexibility …

But based on your comment …

1 Like

Yes, it can use work but this is a new service. They are hiring a product designer. One may come along and fix these usability issues.

I am also curious about your thoughts on Adalo. Can I get a link to what you’ve done on the other platform to get an idea?

edit: From a UX Designer as well

This is the one thing keep me from switching from Adalo to Draftbit.

It takes me 1/10th the time to build something in Adalo in comparison to Draftbit.

Draftbit is faster than coding for sure, so it still has its place. However, I see it like this…

There’s coding.
Draftbit is 50% faster than coding.
Adalo is 400% faster than coding.

2 Likes

Hey Chris - would love any specifics you can share - we’re spending a lot of time on these things right now. Thanks!

Made this simple - ish test app to see what all of the features can do and if if i can remake the same app in different no -code software or low code :https://previewer.adalo.com/617a5b1c-8978-4c13-96f5-0a1199b9f4a4

Not sure about Chris’s experience.

But I have dabbled with Adalo and Draftbit and I must say that the functioning of Adalo’s interface is much more intuitive for non-advanced users who are new to making their own apps. Basically, it is more design intuitive and seamlessly integrates design sketching with functionality. While draftbit has more features it’s UX is extremely cluttered and bulky.

The main place I see this is the layout and navigation. In draftbit I find myself spending 90% of my time trying to get layers and page elements to align or fit together correctly. Drag and drop functionality would remove most of this stress. Another area is the navigator tab. The way of making a flow chart between separate pages like Adalo gives me a good idea - without even testing how the app will function and flow between pages.

It really pains me that despite all the work I see you guys putting in I feel like it is only getting more “clunky” of a UI experience. It is much more preferable for a user without a computer engineering background to sketch something that works and then toggle the finer elements and functionality of databases than to make them define concepts for apps which they themselves can’t even visualize because the UI is so overburdening. This is a real shame since in terms of the apps that Adalo can make they are not nearly as intricate no-code solutions as draftbit. But I would rather make a “duck-tape” quality fix on a simpler no-code solution than be overburdened and unable to visually create what is in an app maker’s sketchpad or mind on a complicated and more holistic product software.

Some quick takeaways why Adalo is currently faster for my needs despite being technically “weaker” in many capabilities:

• Simpler and more manageable UI
  • Lack of a drag and drop functionality
  • Adalo’s Ability to quickly copy and paste various elements with simple Ctrl C/V between pages
  • Difficulty using Draftbit for a simple proof of concept design sketching makes it harder to craft the app and use more robust features that are already running.
  • Adalo has easily visualized navigation to see how pages interact: shows HOW the screen tabs integrate with one another (consol has parents, sub parents and arrow features)

Draftbit seems amazing, don’t out engineer Adalo but have it out innovate you!

Warm regards

2 Likes