PWA builder view?

Hey there, everyone.

Our primary interest is to experiment with a social Q&A PWA compatible with all browsers. I’ve noticed there still isn’t a lot to go on in the documentation for web apps. So my questions so far are:

1. Is there any way to change the editor’s mobile template to a more desktop-friendly view, as in to see how our web app would look during the development process for a desktop browser? Basically, a fullscreen-type view rather than a mobile view. I’ve yet to find such an option – I reckon it would look more like a future responsive builder template might appear.

2. There does seem to be some confusion in the development community as to what exactly a progressive web app is versus a traditional responsive web app. My second question is, how does Draftbit view this matter? Are PWAs here mandatory to download into a “spin-off browser” sort of setup as we’ve seen with other PWAs, or can it strictly be run through a URL with no download necessary? This is a bit of a make-or-break here for us.

Would appreciate some insight. Thanks!
Dom,

Hi Dom,

Welcome to Draftbit!

1. The Web Preview display cannot be changed so the mobile view in the Builder is the only view available as of now.

2. The PWAs are just run through a URL! When you click the ‘Publish’ button at the top of the Builder you’ll see a preview of the URL the app will be at. (Note: currently, this URL cannot be customized)

Here are some resources on deploying a PWA outside of the Builder:

[Expo Blog] Create and Deploy Web Apps and PWAs with Expo
[Expo Docs] Progressive Web Apps

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Angela